Here is the latest working version of !NWClient, a program that
allows you to access a Novell NetWare®
file server from your Acorn RiscOS machine.
This software is no longer being developed, but kept here in case anyone still has some use for it.
The source code is available now too.
There used to be a mailing list for discussions about !NWClient on Yahoo, but
that is now all spam... sorry.
You can still enail email@example.com if
you have questions or feedback using !NWClient, taking care to change the first dot into a dash.
- Convenient access to file server, no need to have NFS and a Linux box.
- Data rates of over 900KB/s (using decent ethernet cards).
- Uses OS/2-style extended attributes to store RiscOS file type.
- Supports long file names if you have long name space loaded.
- Supports 10-character and 8/3-character file names on DOS file space.
- Interactive help (!Help) in NWFiler.
- Can invent file types from whole file names (e.g. !Run->Obey).
- Acorn RiscPC or other Acorn machine with RiscOS 3.1 or later.
- A network card that supports the DCI4 specification, preferably not an EtherM.
- Lanmanfs module not loaded.
- Novell NetWare 3.x, 4.x or 5.x. (2.x not tested)
LONG.NAM loaded on file server
(optional, but nicer).
- OS2 or LONG name space added to every volume you'll want to use from RiscOS.
Known bugs and limitations
- No TCP/IP support.
- Not 32-bit RiscOS ready.
- Login scripts are not read nor executed.
- Packet burst and long packets not supported (although we fake it using
some kind of magic streaming mode).
- This is not a full NDS aware client, so it does not support aliases and will find
users only in the file-server's or the bindery context.